Assessment for Learning
What is Assessment for Learning?
Assessment for Learning is all about teachers and students working together so that they understand: what they have learned so far, what they need to learn next and how they can do this.
What does Assessment for Learning look like?
At Thomas Deacon Academy teachers will:
- Help students to know the standards they are aiming for
- Involve students in assessing their own and each other’s work
- Provide feedback that help students recognise the next steps to take
- Promote confidence that every student can improve
- Review and reflect with students on how well they have done and what they need to do to improve
Much of the focus of our development has been on our key learning statements for students:
Learning in the Academy
I know what I am learning and why
I know what good looks like and how to achieve it
I know how well I am doing and what I need to improve
I know what my next steps are and how to take them
I see how the skills that I am learning in this lesson link to learning elsewhere
Academy students are introduced to the key learning statements during I connect and lesson time, helping them understand the importance of understanding their own learning.