Thomas Deacon Academy is committed to providing a curriculum (courses of study) that will prepare students for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of adult life and meet the aims of the Academy Vision Statement.
We want to:
- maximise student achievement in all areas, regardless of ability, disability, gender or race;
- foster successful learners who enjoy learning, make progress and achieve;
- encourage confidence in our students so that they are able to live safe, healthy and fulfilling lives
- ensure that our students become responsible citizens who make a positive contribution to society.
- equip students with the skills needed to participate in the technological, economic, social and cultural life of the country;
- ensure that students develop the essential skills for learning, life and employment by incorporating personal, learning and thinking skills into their curriculum offer;
- encourage students to develop the skills needed for employment by including opportunities for business challenges and applied learning in real contexts;
- ensure students have high aspirations and self-esteem and accept responsibility for their learning;
- offer students the opportunity for moral and spiritual reflection in order to promote positive emotional health and confidence;
- offer a curriculum that reflects our STEM (Science Technology Engineering Maths) specialism
- develop a personalised curriculum which is broad, balanced and coherent, which has a content appropriate for students’ needs, interest and abilities and which meets legal requirements;
- ensure the curriculum is innovative and is enhanced throughout by technology;
- establish appropriate and coherent links across the whole curriculum by highlighting key concepts, skills and processes and drawing together cross curricular dimensions such as enterprise, creativity, global and cultural awareness;
- prepare students effectively for their role as citizens;
- ensure a range of opportunities for physical activities;
- ensure that students have the information to make informed life-style choices;
- ensure the quality of Academy learning and teaching is continually being evaluated and improved.